ABOUT MINEHEAD BARBARIANS
Rugby has been played in Minehead since the early 1920-30’s and
match reports from this time have been found in the local West
Somerset Free Press’ archives.However, the first rugby played by the
Minehead Club took place just before the outbreak of WW2 in 1939,
when a team was entered into the Somerset 7’s held at Weston Super
Mare. There was no further official rugby played until 1946.
A meeting was held in The Queens Arms in Minehead where it was decided to reform the Club under the title of the Minehead Barbarians. The name Barbarians was added to
avoid anyresponsibility for the possible debts of the former Minehead Club. At that meeting a unanimous decision was made to dispense with the monies left over from the old
clubs accounts by buying a round of drinks for all those present at the meeting.
The first pitch the club used was at The Parks in Minehead, where afield was rented from Howard Shapland, who was one of the founder members along with A. Moody, Bob
Thorne, Roy Hawkins and others. Players changed in the town swimming pool on the seafront. In the late 1950’s The Minehead Harriers kennel buildings were purchased and
the actual kennels themselves were converted into changing rooms, with a clubhouse being built beside the pitch. For several years in the late 60’s the Club struggled to field
a full team and often travelled with less than 15.
By 1970 it was known that The Parks was going to sold for housing and so the search began for a new ground. After training one evening a group of members met in the
Britannia Inn, Alcombe and decided that the only way to ensure a full 1st XV was to have a 2nd XV Mike Knight, Arthur Phillips, Rod Somerfield and Terry Mote also decided to
start a new section, that of mini rugby. In their first year they had about 10 lads, but by the time of the move from The Parks to The Tom Stewart Field, the numbers had grown
to around 50.
The Club bought the land at Ellicombe and built a new clubhouse with the help of local builder Ian Baker and with club members doing all the labouring. One of the first jobs
was to remove a hedgerow from the 20 metre line. Then, the pitch was laid differently to what it is now. Playing-wise, the fortunes of the club picked up with the arrival of
AlanWoollam from Bridgwater RFC and Jim Waterman from Bath.
A 3rd XV and a Colt team were added to the playing strength and the mini section numbers jumped to around 200. Club highlights include the defeat of neighbours Bridgwater
in the Somerset Cup, the club forging very strong links with Plouzané in France and enjoying many reciprocal tours with them (from minis to veterans) and in more recent
times, the two promotion winning seasons of 2004-5 and
Minis & Juniors
Past Players and Supporters